Employers benefit when they support breastfeeding:
- Lower absenteeism: Mothers with formula fed children missed work because their children were ill three times more often compared to mothers who breastfed their children.
- Higher productivity
- Higher company loyalty
- Higher employee morale
- Lower health care costs
Sample Employer Policies for Supporting Breastfeeding Employees
Workplace Breastfeeding Issues in the News
Other Helpful Links for Employers
- Guide to the Rights of Breastfeeding Employees in Oklahoma – Shows how federal and state laws affect Oklahoma working parents
- Breastfeeding Works Brochure (pdf, 177 KB) – Guidelines to become an Oklahoma Breastfeeding Friendly Worksite from COBA, OK Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition, and the Preparing for a Lifetime Initiative to Reduce Infant Mortality
- Application for Recognition as an Oklahoma Breastfeeding Friendly Worksite
- Supporting Breastfeeding in the Workplace – policy brief from the Association of State Public Health Nutritionists (2015)
- Supporting Nursing Moms at Work – Online resource from Womenshealth.gov for various industries (updated 2019)
- Break Time for Nursing Mothers Under the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act) – Department of Labor Fact Sheet #73
- Department of Labor FAQ about break time for nursing mothers
- Business Case for Breastfeeding (Office on Women’s Health – Toolkit for Workplace Breastfeeding Support)
- Breastfeeding Benefits Coverage in the Affordable Care Act – Toolkit from National Women’s Law Center (pdf, 11 pages) – includes an explanation of the law, sample scripts & letters for contacting insurers about coverage of breastfeeding equipment (including PUMPS) and lactation care, and a Q & A section.
- Harvard Business Review’s 2019 summary of why and how to accommodate breastfeeding employees
Your Local Breastfeeding Friendly Worksite Regional Coordinator can share information and offer assistance!
- Click here to contact your local coordinator.
OSDH WIC Public Service Announcements about working and breastfeeding
“WIC Employer – Childcare Support” — English: